Milwaukee Paternity Lawyer
Helping Clients Through Paternity Issues in Milwaukee County
At The Law Offices of Jason D. Baltz, we understand the importance of family and the legal rights that come with it. Our team of experienced attorneys is dedicated to providing reliable and compassionate legal representation to clients facing paternity-related matters in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. We recognize that establishing paternity can be a sensitive and complex process, and we are here to guide you through every step with understanding and expertise. If you need a Milwaukee paternity lawyer who will protect your rights and advocate for your child's best interests, look no further than our law firm.
What is Paternity?
Paternity refers to the legal relationship between a father and his child. Establishing paternity is crucial as it solidifies a child's right to financial support, inheritance, and benefits from both parents. It also allows the child to have a meaningful and lasting bond with both parents, promoting their emotional and psychological well-being.
Whether you are a mother seeking to establish paternity to ensure financial support for your child or a father eager to assert your parental rights, our skilled Milwaukee paternity lawyers are here to assist you in navigating the legal process.
How is Paternity Determined in Wisconsin?
In the state of Wisconsin, paternity can be established through various methods. The most common ways to determine paternity include:
- Voluntary Paternity Acknowledgment: If both parents agree on the identity of the biological father, they can sign a voluntary paternity acknowledgment form. This form is often completed at the hospital shortly after the child's birth. Once signed, it legally establishes the father's paternity.
- Genetic Testing: Genetic testing can be conducted when there is a dispute or uncertainty regarding paternity. This involves taking a DNA sample from the child, the alleged father, and, if available, the mother. The samples are analyzed to determine if there is a biological relationship between the alleged father and the child. Genetic testing is highly accurate and can provide conclusive evidence of paternity.
- Legal Action: If either parent contests paternity or refuses to acknowledge it, the court may be involved. A paternity suit can be filed, which initiates the legal process of determining paternity. The court may order genetic testing if necessary and will formally determine paternity based on the evidence presented.
How Does Paternity Impact My Child?
Establishing paternity has numerous benefits for the child, both emotionally and financially. When paternity is confirmed:
- Child Support: The child has a right to financial support from both parents. The non-custodial parent may be required to pay child support to help cover the child's basic needs, medical expenses, education, and other necessities.
- Access to Benefits: The child becomes eligible for various benefits, including health insurance, life insurance, Social Security benefits, and inheritance rights.
- Parental Relationship: Knowing both parents can positively impact a child's sense of identity and belonging. It also allows the child to develop a meaningful relationship with both parents.
- Medical History: Access to the biological father's medical history can be vital in assessing the child's potential health risks and managing hereditary conditions.
- Custody and Visitation: Paternity establishes a legal basis for fathers to seek custody or visitation rights, ensuring they can maintain a significant presence in their child's life.
Contact Our Milwaukee Paternity Attorney Today
If you face paternity-related legal issues in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, do not hesitate to contact our experienced and compassionate paternity lawyers at The Law Offices of Jason D. Baltz. We understand the significance of establishing paternity and will work diligently to protect your rights and your child's best interests. Our team is dedicated to guiding you through the process with professionalism and empathy.
Contact The Law Offices of Jason D. Baltz today to schedule a consultation.
I cant say enough great things about Jason!- Alan G.
Jason is the best, he is always there for you.- Dean H.
Jason was extremely helpful!- Eric D.
Thanks for giving me back my life, freedom and restoring my faith in people!- B. Smith
I STRONGLY recommend Jason Baltz as your attorney.- Elaine K.